Student Internship Visit 1 May 2026 Semester

 I visited student doing their practical internship last week and this is what I learned. 

In terms of arrangement, I do what I normally do every semester. That worked for me and I will continue doing that. 

I visited 5 students in 5 companies and this is what I learned from those visits. 

Company 1

Student majors in computer science but the work that he is doing is data analytics which is more suitable if you are an information system students or may be information technology. I suggested that he try to work on any software development for his project if possible. Or perhaps he can look into AI on how AI can provide value to the dashboard. 

Company 2

Company 2 is a telecommunication company. Basically the student did documentations of diagrams. There are some hands on involve but I say this. Finding a project for the students to do in a telecommunication solution provide could be a challenge. But the company has a position called solution architect so, the project architecting a solution rather than networking. Secondly, the student might develop an interest in networking. Nothing's wrong with that. But I think, there are more interesting areas in IT that the student can venture on e.g system development, databases etc. Networking could be the last choice unless if you have deep interest in networking. I might be bias on this. But I have had experience going to into networking as an intern. Got my first job doing networking too but in the end got bored with it. Just don't want the student to fall into this trap

Company 3

Company is a system integrator company. They build systems for a client. This company is interesting. It kinds remind me of the first company that I worked for. Small and you involve end-to-end. Different from a big company where you a just a small fish in a big pond. What I like is the company though is that, they are open to collaborate. They are always looking for opportunity. I might give this company a call if I need IT collaborators.

Company 4

Company 4 is a company aviation MRO company. Interesting company this student picked. Really open my eyes on things. I see a lot of potential projects that the students can do here. Just need to get support from the host company supervisor.

Company 5

Company 5 is an IT company. Bumiputera. Does not look like an IT company but they do have some products under their belt. Company 5 looks more like Company 3. I am impressed by the student that they can finish developing an app in just two weeks. Not only developing but deploying the app as well. Impressive but when AI (Codex) is involved the level of impressiveness dwindles a bit. So, if you want an app fast then use AI for that. Student said I use AI for errors. I mean, if this comes from an IS or IT student, I can understand that but when a CS student says something like that, that is not right. Hopefully that the student can really do actual development in his project later on. 


Comments

Popular Posts